Wednesday 9 November 2011

Sunday dinner

On Sunday I made for dinner roast chicken with Polish dumplings and for dessert baked apples with custard.
My inspiration came from Jamie Oliver "Ministry of Food". His motto "anyone can learn to cook in 24 hours" reminds me of animated movie "Rattatouille". Jamie's recipes are simple and easy to fallow. I recomend his books not only for beginners.

W niedzielę zrobiłam na obiad pieczonego kurczaka z kluskami a na deser pieczone jabłka z budyniem.
Zainspirowły mnie przepisy Jamiego Olivera z ksiązki "Ministry of Food". Jego hasło "każdy może nauczyć się gotować w 24 godziny" przypomina mi film "Rattatouille". Przepisy Jamiego są proste i łatwe w przygotowaniu. Polecam jego książki nie tylko początkującym.


Roast chicken
You need:
whole chicken
fresh or dry rosemary
black pepper, salt, red paprika
one lemon or orange
some vegetables (carrots, onions, parsnip, celery)
garlic
50gr butter
olive oil
sunflower oil

For gravy:
glass of white wine
100 ml chicken stock
2 tbls of plain flour

Place chicken in roasting pan, season with herbs (I used dry rosemary) salt, black pepper and red paprika. Place whole lemon or orange inside the chicken (I used orange as I didn't have lemon). Place chopped vegetables and add some butter and oil.

Place in preheated oven for about 45 minutes



When chicken is ready, place it on plate and remove fat from roasting pan. Place pan on gas and add flour, mix all together and then mash vegetables using potato masher. Add wine and cook for a few minutes, then add chicken stock, mix and cook another few minutes. Finally pour your gravy through the sieve into a large bowl.

My recipe is slightly different than original as I didn't have all ingredients. 
You can find Jamie's roast chicken recipe here and for gravy here

Polish dumplings
You need:
9 medium potatoes
potato flour (mąka ziemniaczana, if you're not from Poland, you can buy it in your country in Polish shops, there are many in UK). Maybe you can also make it from plain flour but I've never tried it.
1 egg (optional)

Boiled potatoes in slightly salted water and then mash them. Split mash into four parts and in one part place the flour. Mix it with potatoes and egg.
It should looks like that:


Now make small round balls

Cook them in slightly salted boiling water until they start to float (you can try one to see if is cooked inside).

Baked apples
You can find this recipe here
I followed exactly Jamie's recipe, only I need to say that next time I wont use dry bay leaves, only fresh or none. Also I might try to cut apples in half.


Anyone can cook:)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love Jamie! he's so funny and his recipes all look very yum!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...